Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: How do you pronounce Beaulieu?

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Levi's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 25th, 2001
    Posts
    183
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    This may sound kind of dumb, but I have always wondered if I'm pronouncing certain camera brands right. Like Beaulieu, I say it how it looks but I never know for sure. I'm afraid that I'll be talking to someone about a Beaulieu or something and say it wrong and they'll think I'm stupid. So could anyone who knows please tell me. Oh, and while you're at it how about Arriflex and Chinon?

    Corey

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Jon P's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 8th, 2001
    Posts
    92
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I pronounce it Bow-leo but I'm not 100% sure that its right.

    Bow: as in Tie

    Leo: as in star sign

  3. #3
    Inactive Member 8th Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 9th, 2001
    Posts
    112
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Almost,
    Beaulieu= Bowl - You (as in not me)
    If you want to be extra snooty you can say it in a french accent.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Levi's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 25th, 2001
    Posts
    183
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks guys, that was completely different from how I was saying it. Now how about Arriflex? Is it are(like the letter R) e-flex
    or is it air(like what you breathe) e-flex?

    Thanks again
    Corey

  5. #5
    Inactive Member technicolour's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 5th, 2001
    Posts
    150
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Question

    Strange, I always pronounced it sort of like b'you-lee,

    If you look at the word you would pronounce Beau as you do in the word beautiful, and the word lieu as lee, as its french and you wouldnt hear the e or u (yeah i know, french is weird).

    Plus there is actually a place in the UK called Beaulieu and thats how its pronounced here, but I guess in America its bound to be different because of the accent. [img]cool.gif[/img]

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Carlos8's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 3rd, 2000
    Posts
    93
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Well, the pronunciation in Spanish sounds Bo-liu. I was searching in my French-Spanish dictionary and apparently Beaulieu means "Nice Place" (Beau=Nice, Lieu= Place). [img]redface.gif[/img]

    Carlos.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member technicolour's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 5th, 2001
    Posts
    150
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    or as the french would probably say, the place of the nice! [img]wink.gif[/img]

    As for Chinon, I always pronounce it Chin-on (as in the part of your face).

    As for Arriflex, my intution leads be to believe that the Arri part would most likely be pronounced like 'arry and the flex on the end, but thats just me [img]smile.gif[/img]

  8. #8
    Inactive Member lightfeat's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 28th, 2002
    Posts
    217
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Arriflex - as in my friend Harry Flex (or Arifa Flanklyn if you prefer [img]wink.gif[/img] short a and short r anyway)

    Beaulieu - as in Beau(tiful) Lee. In English at least, it is definitely beau as in beautiful not beau as in "a dandy" and lieu is lee for reasons ony the illogical ancients can explain (lieutenant is pronounced lootenant in American English, and actualy pronounced left-tenant in English English [img]eek.gif[/img] ).

    Chinon - as in Shin on (shin not chin)

    Nizo - as in Nazi, z being a tz

    Aaton - as in Arton

    Bauer - as in somebody who bows after a performance

    Leica - An abreviation of "Like her," as in, "I think she's a bitch, do you leica?"

    Eumig - "You Mig." As in a Harrier Jump jet pilot insulting his aeroplane by calling it a Mig [img]confused.gif[/img]

    Braun - as in brawn - strength

  9. #9
    Inactive Member redizdead's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 6th, 2003
    Posts
    5
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Cool

    Prononciation for Beaulieu is difficult:
    Bo(means nice) and then lieu(means place), pronounce lee-a. The"a" must be said like in: I want to get "a" blowjob, when you say it fast...
    In french actually you don't hear "e" only when its at the end of a word. Morover here it is "eu" and not "e", eu is always pronounced like"a" in english as an article... Don't know if I explain it right, but Im pretty sure of it cause Im french(although Im not proud of it...)

    Same in Chinon the"on" at the end makes a new sound, which doesn't exist in english... hard to explain...
    Nizo: Nee-zow...

  10. #10
    Inactive Member technicolour's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 5th, 2001
    Posts
    150
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by lightfeat:
    Arriflex - as in my friend Harry Flex (or Arifa Flanklyn if you prefer [img]wink.gif[/img] short a and short r anyway)

    Beaulieu - as in Beau(tiful) Lee. In English at least, it is definitely beau as in beautiful not beau as in "a dandy" and lieu is lee for reasons ony the illogical ancients can explain
    </font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>

    Strange, I never noticed the echo in here before

    [img]wink.gif[/img]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •